Thursday 27 October 2011

Star Toast

It’s been miserable and wet here and after the running around of yesterday, we thought a lazy day at home was in order. Eggy bread seemed like a good idea for lunch. Warm and comforting.

P1010826

I don’t remember it being a part of my own childhood. I think I was first introduced to it, when I lived in halls of residence. One of my friends would make it for us, when we got home, after a night in the SU bar. I’ve made it for my children since they were very small, making the bread into all sorts of different shapes over the years. From hearts and flowers to trucks and Thomas the Tank Engine.

I’ve heard it called lots of different names, but my favourite, is the one coined by my best friend from those college days. Her son had a strong aversion to eggs and wouldn’t eat anything that he thought might contain the offending articles. She cut the bread with a cookie cutter, named it star toast and he happily tucked in.

What do you call it?

11 comments:

Ali said...

french toast - very posh lol! Sounds like a lovely lunch

scrappyjacky said...

We call it eggy bread.....and it's an occasional Sunday treat.

Alison said...

French Toast or Eggy Bread here!
Alison xx

alexa said...

Drooling here! We called it French Toast too. I am reliably informed the French have never heard of it. :)

Suzy said...

Theres nothing nicer. My two big kids still love.it. i call it french toast. The kids always called it eggy bread

Sian said...

We had a Teletubbie cutter we got on the front of a comic, so it ended up as teletubbie toast here

Neet said...

I've heard it called French Toast - we used to call it eggy bread when I was in the Girl Guides and we were having it for breakfast.

Di said...

This with sausages was one of the favourite brekkies at boarding school - we called it eggy bread. Can't repeat some of the names we had for other dishes though :)) Di xx

humel said...

I call it eggy bread, but The Doctor tries to call it French Toast. I don't allow that, because French Toast is sweet (you add icing sugar and cinnamon in the recipe I've seen) and eggy bread is savoury. The Boy and The Doctor like to spread Marmite on theirs. (I don't, because Marmite is a cruel joke played on the world by nasty manufacturers.)

Anonymous said...

I haven't had this in years - but we used to call it Gypsy Toast - slightly more romantic than eggy bread!

Beverly said...

Close to French Toast and actually the way I prefer my FT, the real thing has cinnamon in the batter and you pour syrup over it...way too sweet for my taste. I have gotten very very strange looks when I have ordered mine "dry". I'm sure if I asked for Eggy Bread, I'd get an even stranger look lol