Tuesday 4 October 2011

Soup’s Out For Summer

I was in full autumnal soup making mode last week and then the temperature rose...…and rose again. I wanted something a bit fresher and lighter to match the unexpected hot weather and I think this soup fits the bill.

Take 1 red onion, 2 sticks of celery and a red pepper, chop roughly and put in a food processor. Blitz until pureed.

Heat some olive oil in a large pan and add the blitzed veg. Fry gently for a few minutes, then stir in 2tbsp tomato puree.

P1010453

Add 2 tins chopped tomatoes (I use one with added chilli) 200g red lentils, 1 litre of stock (whatever your preference) and 2tsp sugar.

P1010455

Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add 1 tin chickpeas (drained) and heat through for approx 5 minutes. Enjoy.

7 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

I love the title as well....and the soup sounds delicious.

humel said...

Mmm, that does sound nice :)

Lizzie said...

I agree with Sian!
Good recipe - sort of a Gazpacho - did you eat it chilled?
Speaking of chilled, I have a recipe for Chilled Lemon Soup. Never actually tried it, but it sounds rather nice....

Sandra said...

You are the queen of soups :)

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy. I will have to try it!

Ali said...

Sounds lovely, love seeing your recipes Fi

Alison said...

We're not at soup-making weather yet...but I'll try to remember this when it does1
Alison xx