Saturday 13 October 2012

Truncating and Scraping

I hadn’t heard of either of these terms until this morning, when I was doing a bit of research into something that I have noticed becoming more common recently. Quite a few blogs that I follow no longer show the full post in Google Reader. I must admit I find this quite irritating. I have always assumed that it is done to make you click through to their blog, but it would seem that is not necessarily the case.

Apparently there are people out there who will steal your blog content and post it as their own. I don’t mean the odd stolen image or a project copied and posted without proper credit. I’m talking about whole pages reposted without the owner’s knowledge. This article from Between Naps on the Porch explains it all much better than I could and has lots of useful links.

Apologies if you are visiting for Stampin’ Up Saturday. I’ve had a slight technical hitch, otherwise known as a lost card reader. I’m hoping to be here with Stampin’ Up Sunday instead this week.

IMG_0119-001

It seems strange to post without a photo so, although it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject, here’s what I’ll be cooking for breakfast tomorrow.

9 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Yours is the second post I have read tonight on this subject. Very worrying that people can steal without your knowledge
hugs Mrs a.

Julia Dunnit said...

Good grief, I had. No idea, isn't it odd what people would want to steal...shame huh. Can't help but comment on the pancakes too... Oh yum!

humel said...

Yum! Can I come over?!

And thanks for the interesting and worrying info x

Larissa said...

Wow - people really steal content? That's a bit sad. Will read the post you recommended.

Pancakes look yummy ... :)

Jo said...

I'll read that article later, thanks for sharing.

Those pancakes look amazing :) x

Lisa-Jane said...

I think I'm safe, who would want to steal my burble! Your pancakes on the other hand.....

Sian said...

Now this is very interesting - I don't like it when I can't see all the content in Google Reader becasue I do feel like I'm being manipulated. I had no idea that there might be another reason for it, so thank you for letting me know about this.

I have recently had someone create a post around a layout of mine - basically they reproduced my photo without permission and wrote a few words around it. I don't think I would have minded if they had asked or even left a comment..

Jaki Morris said...

I first heard the term Truncation in September 1979 when I joined Midland Bank!It was a way we sent certain items to other banks.
I looked the word up as I have always been a curious soul, it means to cut short.
I have no idea if anyone would ever want to use my content but I'll certainly read the article.
Pancakes are always a winner!
Jakix

Amy said...

I have had images used and I have heard of people having their content stolen - but, I had always assumed that the partial post shown was a numbers ploy, perhaps not?