Tuesday 30 October 2012

Teal Flower Garden Block

I hadn’t planned to post today so forgive me if this is just a stream of consciousness.

Ever since I read about Jo’s idea to make a quilt, I’ve been mulling it over and trying to decide what kind of block to make. It must measure 6” x 6” and include some of this Moda Vintage Modern fabric. Teal is the colour that represents ovarian cancer.

I was browsing through Google Reader, on my phone this afternoon, while waiting for the fairy cakes my daughter had made to bake. I read Deb’s post which got me thinking about the quilt again and then this post showing some cute little hexagons.

I had already been considering hand stitching and that decided me. I contacted Hadley, to ask if she had any advice on paper piecing hexies and she kindly replied with lots of helpful tips. I may have ordered a book as well.

Deb had said that her Mom loved daisies. I thought about the design on a Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt and decided that would be the basis of my block. My colour scheme will be teal/blue, white, yellow and grey.

I’ve picked out some possible fabrics, which I think will work well together and go with the Moda fabric. I’ll wait to receive the piece from Jo before I make my final decision. I’m really excited about getting started with this project now.

My tentative plan is to post every Tuesday with the progress I have made and share my processes, along with links to anything I’ve found helpful. Anyone fancy joining me in a sort of mini quilt-a-long?

8 comments:

alexa said...

I am not a quilter, alas, but I will be cheering you on from over here - this looks like such a worthwhile project :).

Jo said...

Your plan sounds really good and I will look forward to seeing your progress and picking up some tips :) x

Sandra said...

Great idea Fi, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on :) xx

humel said...

Good for you! Can't wait to see how it comes together :) Mine will have to be very basic and simple, though I do have a couple of ideas - like you, I want to see Jo's fabric before I make any final decisions.

Alison said...

I want to join in, but like Mel mine will have to be very simple...I have though discovered a lady in the village who quilts...and am hoping she can help point me in the right direction!
Alison xx

Sian said...

I'll be looking forward to seeing your teal posts. I'm hoping to join in, though I've never done any quilting. I wanted to give it a try for Deb though.

Amy said...

All I can say is that I will be looking to you for inspiration and guidelines as to HOW to do this! I am not a quilter but want to join in somehow .....

Lisa-Jane said...

It sounds amazing and I am loving the colour scheme. I really need to sort my machine out...