Tuesday 14 October 2014

Time for a Recipe Tuesday ~ Stroganoff

I cook an evening meal from scratch pretty much every day. However, I’m no domestic goddess and if there’s a shortcut to be taken, I’m there. I guess what I’m saying is, if you’re after a traditional stroganoff then you’ll need to look elsewhere. But, if you want simple and tasty, then you’ve come to the right place.

20141009_191311

Mushroom Stroganoff

1 red onion chopped

4 cloves of garlic crushed

400g mushrooms*

2tsp paprika

100-150ml vegetable stock

1tbsp tomato puree

1tsp dijon mustard

100g cream cheese

freshly ground black pepper

Heat a good glug of olive oil in a pan and sweat the onions with a lid on. Once they have softened, add the garlic and mushrooms, stir and replace the lid. Leave to cook for about 10 minutes. Add the paprika and mix well. Stir in the tomato puree and mustard. Pour in the stock. The amount you need will depend on how much juice there is from the mushrooms. Simmer for a few minutes** and stir in the cream cheese, just before you’re ready to serve.

20141009_181833

*I prefer chestnut mushrooms and leave them whole if they are small, otherwise I quarter them.

**I usually make it up to this stage earlier in the day, then heat up at dinner time and stir in the cream cheese once the rice is cooked.

6 comments:

Lynz said...

Oh yum!! I, too, cook from scratch most nights but I *loath* cooking. So simple but tasty is well received - thank you!!

Jane said...

will definitely be trying this one, thanks.

Sandra said...

I'm another that enjoys cooking from scratch every evening and I love trying new recipes, so I'll give this a go. I'm sure I could substitute Quark for the cream cheese and make it more of a slimming world recipe

Twiglet said...

That looks yummy - might try it with something fat free - not as tasty but might not upset my tummy. x Jo

KraftyKaren said...

I'm all for shortcuts, cooking from scratch takes so much of my energy - this looks nice and simple and sounds very tasty

scrappyjacky said...

This sounds delicious...and like Sandra.....I may try it with quark.