Friday 31 October 2014

SIPIDI and a Friday Find

The blogging schedule, such as it was, didn’t quite go to plan this month, so I’m squeezing two posts into one today.

I mentioned last week that I was having another attempt at teaching myself to crochet. I found a local class, but unfortunately it’s the same time that I teach my own classes so it was back to Youtube for me. I pinned this video for a simple flower. Armed with an odd ball of yarn and a magazine kit freebie hook, off I went.

IMG_20141031_145048

I’m pretty chuffed with the result. I’m struggling to hold any sort of tension. Told you I was cackhanded! I had to go and do something part way through and lost my way a bit. Not exactly sure how I managed it, but the top two petals are upside down. You can clearly see the chain around the edge of the bottom three petals, but it’s underneath on the other two. I realised I’d made a mistake, but didn’t know how to right it. Having got that far, I wasn’t going to start again!

Do you crochet? Have you got any tips for me or links to helpful videos and blogs. I’m a keen follower of Attic 24 and aspire to make some wonderful creations like Lucy’s Jolly Chunky Bag or a rainbow striped blanket. One…step….at….a….time!

If you’ve made something from your Pinterest boards this month, or inspired by something you found while browsing the internet and filed away for another day, then please let me know and I’ll be round to check it out. All info on SIPIDI can be found here. Looking forward to seeing what you’ve been up to in October.

And finally, that Friday Find. We’re big fans of Studio Ghibli around here and this has to be the cutest Halloween costume I’ve ever seen.

How brilliant is that? Check out the Sew Chibi blog for lots more.

Happy Halloween!

15 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Well done on making the flower! I hadn't even noticed that those two petals were t'wrong way round :-)
Colour and cream is a good blog with some free tutorials and lovely ideas too.....
Hugs, LLJ xxxx

KraftyKaren said...

awww that flower is so cute, I am sure you perfect the technique in no time at all. Glad to see SIPIDI is back - I am sure I will have something to post very soon

Lou said...

These little flowers are my favouite to make. I used to run up a batch on a long car journey. Attic 24 is a good blog. Usually i would pin something with a pattern and then refer back to it..when I want to make something. I have to be in the mood to crotchet though and haven't done anything since the beginning of the year x

fairy thoughts said...

I had to go back and have a second look at the flowers.... Didn't notice first time... Looks great just keep practicing and you'll be fine my crochet skills are quite basic... Tried to make a holly leaf the other day....disaster!
Janet

Sandra said...

I will certainly check out that link. Yes, you're right I did attend a crochet class but for some reason, as soon as I'm on my own I totally forget it. So I've been search you tube and have a few good videos. I'll share them with you.

Alison said...

That flower looks pretty perfect to me!
Alison xx

scrappyjacky said...

The flower looks great to me.

My not so simple life said...

Well done teaching yourself to crochet! Ive tried before but no hope lol. I have def done a SIPIDI this month, will try and photograph it soon :)

Sian said...

I didn't notice either. And one of the great things about crochet is that once you put it together with more flowers you really won't be able to spot it at all. I have looked at youtube and books with photos and honestly the best teaching aid I have found is an old book with line drawings. The drawings are clearer than anything else

Jane said...

I love crochet and I'm busy making attic24's coastal ripple blanket at the moment.

Jo said...

I would definitely recommend Lucy's chunky bag. It's great for a beginner because chunky wool and a large hook mean you can easily see the stitches. I found it so much easier to learn with chunky wool :)

Squirrel said...

Very sweet! I used to crochet a lot years ago but haven't for ages. Enjoy it!
Rosey x

Squirrel said...

Oh I forgot to add the link to my SIPIDI: http://squirrel-nuts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/im-not-getting-much-crafting-done-since.html

I keep losing this! Stupid me. Why don't you start a separate blog for SIPIDI? Then people could leave their links in the comments for each post. You could write posts that feature particularly good ones, and the blog would show up in our reading lists. I haven't worked out a way of filtering Pinterest to show board updates yet either. I need to do some playing. Time... I need time... LOL
Rosey x

Julia Dunnit said...

OK, so the flower thing - maynot notice but might be driving you mad anyway..it's not upside down, it's back to front. I think that you must have inadvertantly twisted the whole thing around before you did the last two petals. Am just at last, off to make up my SIPIDI post!

Anonymous said...

I didn't notice either but once you pointed it out I thought it just gave it more dimension. Well done on doing that from a video!