Monday 8 February 2016

Memorandum Monday ~ Avocado

I talked Avocados in my SIPIDI! round up last month. From that post you'll know that having them on toast is nothing new around here, so what is?

























Some of the variations I've seen online have you making your own fresh pesto which, I'll be honest, is not something I want to do for a simple lunch. Others include slow roasted tomatoes, with a cooking time of over an hour, which would involve being super organised. I want quick, easy and tasty. I think this fits the bill.

Take a handful of cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil (I've got a spray), season and pop under the grill to soften. Meanwhile, toast some good wholemeal bread, mash an avocado with a little lemon or lime juice and black pepper.

Once the bread is toasted, spread with some tomato pesto, add thinly sliced red onion rings, mashed avocado and top with the grilled tomatoes. Enjoy.

It seems I cannot stay away from foodie posts, on Memorandum Monday, for long! Waving to Sian on this blustery morning, courtesy of Storm Imogen, and wondering why we've started naming our wet and windy Winter weather. Have a great week.

13 comments:

Maggie said...

That looks delicious and very colourful too. I love avocado. I was amused to hear on the radio an item about guacamole. They were asking people what it was made from . A surprising number didn't know. One suggestion was peas....

Melissa said...

This looks yummy, although I'd probably omit the red onion slices (but Robbie wouldn't)!

Sian said...

Avocado definitely seems to be having a moment! Every time I hear the word I can't help thinking about the hilarity in my family in the 70's when my uncle ordered himself a fancy new avocado bathroom suite. My Grandma was scandalised lol

This looks delicious. Have a good week Fiona

Patio Postcards said...

I bought my first avocado this weekend & I plan to mash for a toasted sandwich tomorrow - no cherry tomatoes on hand but I do have a full tomato to slice. I like your photo of your sandwich - very cheerful Monday start.

Jo said...

That looks really delicious!

Karen said...

Sounds good to me! I've been cutting up some avocado and cherry tomatoes and adding them to my scrambled eggs in the morning. (I made lots of pesto this summer, and froze it in ice cube trays so when I need some in the winter I have a bag full of little cubes and just pull out as many as I need. They defrost in no time.)

HappinessSavouredHot (Julie Saint-Mleux) said...

Yum. Avocado makes everything better! I have some almost every day. Mash it with salsa, it takes a minute and is wonderful with tortilla chips.

Cheri said...

That picture makes me drool!

Sandra said...

Anything with avocado is a good thing in my book. This looks yum

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy Fiona. I'll have to give it a try when we get home in a couple of weeks.

KraftyKaren said...

Sian's comment about the avocado bathroom suite made me laugh and reminded me of a flat that I viewed when I was first contemplating getting my own place - I was put off by the green bathsuite LOL!!

I'll take your word for it that it is yummy - I have an aversion to mashed up green food LOL - I can't eat mushy peas either which shocks all my northern friends

Have a great week!!

Beverly said...

I love Avocado Smash Toast, avocado, lime juice, salt and pepper sprinkled with crushed red peppers :)

Jane said...

looks delicious, just my sort of meal.