Monday 20 January 2014

Simply A Moment ~ Saturday Morning 6.50am

I’m joining in with Alexa’s lovely monthly meme today.

2014-01-20_1390231539
I lie in the dark and listen to the rain on the windowsill. My mind filling with thoughts of what this day will bring. Homework is a given and revision for the impending mocks. Chicken Paprikash to be cooked, for restocking the freezer with home made ready meals. A lemon drizzle cake to bake. I quickly inventory the fridge and store cupboard, to make sure I have everything I need. Maybe a little sewing.

I wonder if it is a more civilised hour to get up than the last time I looked at the clock. I turn my head and peer into the half light. 6.50am. I slip soundlessly out of bed, without disturbing The Mechanic. Glancing in through my girl’s door, I see her curls over the top of a lap top screen, as she works away at her latest creation on the graphics tablet. Still an early bird, even now that she is a teenager. I give her a quick kiss and carry on along the landing. Standing outside my boy’s door, I hear his even breathing. He’ll sleep for another hour or so yet, but not ‘til lunchtime like most of his friends.

Down the stairs, into the kitchen and I flick on the hob light and fill the kettle. I measure half a cup each of oats, milk and water into a bowl. Two minutes in the microwave, while my rooibos brews, a swirl of honey and I’m good to go. I push down the door handle with my elbow and cradle the porridge, while I feel for the light switch in the dark. I soak up the peace and quiet to prepare myself for the day.

11 comments:

Miriam said...

What a lovely peaceful moment Fiona and a fabulous photo to go with it. You planned day sounds just perfect.

Sandra said...

Sounds like you enjoy and need that moment :)

My not so simple life said...

Lovely peaceful moment :) Thanks for sharing it.

Lou said...

Ahh i love the peaceful mornings.I have one that's a very early bird too x

alexa said...

Oh, I just love your details - like pushing down the door handle with your elbow ... Such atmospheric writing! Isn't it funny how children can be so different? We've got a night owl and an early bird two but their genders are the other way round to yours! Thank you very much for joining In this month and sharing your moment with us - it has been a gentle and relaxing visit :).

Abi said...

I agree with Alexa, your detailed descriptions are just wonderful. I can see very clearly your morning. How peaceful and lovely.

Jo said...

That is a lovely start to the day x

Lisa-Jane said...

That sounds like a much better start to the day that most of mine with my two little people. I wonder how long mine will be early birds for...

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

What a sweet little peek into your morning routine, Fiona. ♥

Melissa said...

Love your moment. I sometimes do the same thing (lie in bed wondering if it's time to get up), but my husband is an extreme early bird usually. Wonderfully described.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely start to the day.