Monday 27 January 2014

Coffee and a Catch Up ~ January 2014

I’m linking up with the lovely Abi today. She invites us all to “Sit and have a cup of tea” with her and share our news.

2014-01-07_1389117283

Being British, we might well start by talking about the weather. Specifically, the endless rain we have had this month. I took this photo standing on the bridge, that leads across the river to the library. The water was sloshing right under my feet and was more or less level with the bank on the far side. We’ve lived here for six years now and I’ve never seen it quite that high before. Imagine if the library were to get flooded. In fact, no, I don’t even want to think about that. *shudder* Here in the South it’s been a very mild Winter without the crisp cold days and clear skies I love.

2014-01-14_1389725395

It’s mock exam season around here and with one embarking on his A Levels and the other her GCSEs, there’s a lot of revision needing to be done. Everyone needs a break though and not being able to get out much, we’ve been getting cosy and enjoying a film or a good board game and plenty of hearty casseroles. I’ve tried a few new recipes this month, some of which I’ll be sharing here, on the blog, very soon. Have you got a favourite tried and tested Winter warmer? I’m loving my slow cooker and it’s had quite a workout these past few weeks. So glad I bought it.

2014-01-24_1390567992

Have a look at this lovely selection of fabrics I received in the mail last week. I’m trying to be a bit more organised this year and get ahead with my blocks. The colours on the right are for Amy’s theme of “Seaside colours, washed and worn.” The silvery grey reminded me of driftwood. The two on the left are for Beverly’s Caribbean colour scheme. I already have some fabric in my stash to go with them. It’s so much fun picking out colours for everyone and I’m really enjoying this project. Maybe you’re joining in too. How are you finding it so far? Are you getting a little more adventurous as the months go by or, like me, sticking to a plan for everyone?

2014-01-25_1390655827

I’m a little late to the party, but in other news, I joined Instagram this month. Of course you may have already guessed that from the square photos gracing this blog post. The above being the almost mandatory lunch shot. I’m loving it. Beverly suggested that Friendship Quilt folk could post fabrics, that fitted their own colour scheme, to give others an idea of what they were hoping to receive. Does that sound like a good idea? I think most of you are already members, although not necessarily active ones. I am @angelfishcrafts over there and will be using the hashtag “friendshipquilt” unsurprisingly!

It’s been lovely to see you here today and I’ll be round to catch up on all your news soon. ‘Til the next time x

16 comments:

furrypig said...

the flooding has been so bad at times here in Surrey too, fab photo of the library and the water. I am definitely coming back to your blog to check out your slow cooker recipes

ally said...

Hi fiona. Great to grab a cuppa with you, with search Instagram for you too. I'm ayyjay on there

Jo said...

It's been lovely catching up on your news. The thought of the library flooding made me shudder too! x

Sian said...

Argh! No! I don't want the library to flood!

Sorry, I'm not on instagram, but I can tell you that I have posted this month's square and I'm looking forward to sending another one out soon

Jane said...

you've made me very hungry looking at that casserole! x

Abi said...

Yes, I am getting more adventurous about creating my squares! I am still very slow about getting them posted though! we have had a very mild winter here, I miss those crisp blue days. Thank you for joining in for tea with me this month.

Barbara Eads said...

I'd say what jumps out at me right away is that your "cuppa" is coffee!! It's tea for this British "wanna be!" Can't wait for that crock pot recipe---looks so good!

KraftyKaren said...

Hope the river levels stay down. A lovely peek into your life right now xx

debs14 said...

Ah, comfort food and sewing, we certainly have lots to chat about! That river looks worryingly high, hope the rain stops sometime soon.

Lou said...

It's good to see you on IG. I enjoy posting the odd photo. We've been lucky here...no flooding....and keeping my fingers crossed as its still raining!! x

alexa said...

Oooh, are those dumplings I see there? Any chance you could save me one? :). Like Sian, I am shuddering at the thought of a flooded library but your photo across the water is very pretty. Sorry not to be be on Instagram but will enjoy your lovely square photos from here!

Prairie Jill said...

So nice to meet you and hear about what you've been up to! I love your photographs. The risk of flooding is bad, of course, but that first photograph is gorgeous. The food looks great, too!

Thanks for stopping by my blog for tea with me, too. Nice to hear that you loved Anne of Green Gables!

Susanne said...

Well, Instagram suits you if those pictures are any indication. Love that first shot,especially. My crockpot has been working overtime this month too - in fact, I think Chicken Picata will be in there for tonight's supper. Great catching up, see ya soon.

Sandra said...

I love that you're now on Instagram, I can catch up with your everyday :)

I'm typing this while more rain lashes at the window, and I'm feeling so sad for all those that are in fear of flooding

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Mmmmmm - your dumplings look yummy. Gosh, what a beautiful place you live in, Fiona! It's fun to see a peek of the fabrics you're using for your friendship quilt squares. I'm really enjoying the project, but fear that I may run out of clever ideas for personalizing each block. It's been really fun though, and I'm excited for "my month" to roll around.

And I'm super happy that you are on Instagram! :o)

Miriam said...


Hi Fiona what a lovely catch up with beautiful pictures to look at! The fabric looks so gorgeous. Hoping that the water levels reduce soon.