Friday 24 February 2012

Five Things I’m Loving This Friday ~ Quilts Part 4

Some of my favourite books for patchwork and quilting this week. The links take you to Amazon, where all have the ‘Look Inside’ option, which is a great way to get a flavour of the book.

The Quilter’s Bible by Linda Clements. Probably the most useful book I’ve read on the subject of quilting. Great for beginners.

IMG_0110

Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott

The Gentle Art of Quilt-Making by Jane Brocket

Material Obsession by Kathy Doughty and Sarah Fielke

IMG_0116

Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts by Kaffe Fassett. In fact any of his books are inspirational and I have borrowed most of them from the library at some point.

Now onto another little thing that has been bugging me lately. Word Verification! I’ve never really minded it in the past, but in the last couple of weeks it has become almost impossible to decipher. It asks you to prove you’re not a robot, but I think you need to be one to reproduce the characters.

A few blogs that I visit regularly, seem to have added WV recently, when I’m sure they didn’t have it before. On a couple of occasions I have failed to leave a comment, because it keeps telling me that I’ve incorrectly guessed the letters. There are instructions here on how to remove it, but only if you want to of course.

I don’t intend to turn FTILTF into a platform for my ranting. Promise. Hope to see you next time.

14 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

I have found the same thing with word verification recently....Blogger seems to have really gone to town....and it does put me off leaving comments.
Am off to look at the books.

Lynn said...

Mmm I've fancied the gentle art of quilt making for a while. I agree about word verification and have hopefully turned it off my blog.

Jo.C said...

I've hopefully turned mine off for precisely that reason. Thanks for your kind words :0)

tillymint said...

The word verification silliness has driven me daft lately, who has time to decipher those dreadful blurry squiggles over and over till we get one right! I too have turned them off on my blog.. well, I think I have!
Loving the quilting book links, have fun with your sewing!

Mary Ann Tate said...

I agree about the word verification. I have turned it off too.

Lizzie said...

I am resolutely avoiding all books and information relating to quilting! Not because I don't like it.. oh, no - quite the opposite. And really, I just don't have time to be sucked in to yet another new hobby!! But I hope you enjoy your quilt-making - have some fun for me too, eh?

As for Word Verification... grrr... I have had this on my blog for some time, as I was getting Spammed. But I agree that the new WV is RUBBISH! So, it seems, do many others - if you click on the "report issues" link at the top of the Blogger Dashboard, you will find the long list of complaints from other bloggers!
I think I am going to switch it off on my blog - comments have definitely gone down and I am trying to run a giveaway just now... blah!

Lotti said...

Those fabrics are gorgeous. I love blue and brown together.

Amanda said...

Yes those new WV have been tricky to decipher. A couple of books on my wish list are Quilting From Little Things by Sarah Fielke and The Practical Guide To Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman.

Julia said...

Totally agree! Already had mine turned off but thanks for the link to the fab blog. Lots of other useful tips on there I'm sure!

Alison said...

Thanks for the info on getting rid of WV...I thought I'd already done so, but have tried your way this time- here's hoping!
Alison xx

Amy said...

Blogger has gone crazy on WV, I turned it off because it is now utterly ridiculous and takes a long time to comment!

Lou said...

i've been wanting to try quilting for a long time now and never seem to know where to start. Thank you for the links.

Lisa-Jane said...

WV is the stuff of nightmares at the moment isn't it?! I love that turquoise and brown fabric set. Fabric is so wonderful... *sigh*

Dee said...

That fabric looks gorgeous. The colour combo turquoise and brown is just lovely :)