Friday 17 February 2012

Five Things I’m Loving This Friday ~ Quilts Part 3

Before I post my list of five today, I just want to talk about something else for a minute. Sian linked to this article about using Pinterest, in a way which credits the originator of any given photo, idea or project. Like her, I think this is very important.

I use other people’s photos every week on FTILTF. I never pretend that they are my own and I always credit the person responsible for the picture and project by linking directly to the specific post on their blog.

I wondered if anyone had pinned any of these photos from my blog, rather than following the project link. It’s easy enough to find out. Just copy and paste your own blog url into the highlighted area.

http://pinterest.com/source/your blog url here/

I discovered that several photos had been pinned directly from my blog that were not mine, which leaves me with a dilemma. So today I am going to post a list of links without pictures, while I consider the best thing to do in future.

  1. Build a Fabric Stash at Cluck Cluck Sew
  2. Fabric Folding at In Color Order
  3. Color Basics at Oh Fransson!
  4. Supplies You {may} Need at Old Red Barn Co.
  5. Calculating Quilt Measurements at Crazy Mom Quilts

It seems strange to write a blog post and not add any photos, but it’s well worth clicking through to the various blogs. The link to the Old Red Barn Co is the first of a series, that takes you right through the quilting process, very useful for a beginner.

I’m about to get in my car and head for Shropshire to see an old friend. I’m not a big fan of driving and my sense of direction is not the best, but I hope to be back here on Monday, with a post for Julie’s Month of Sunrays. Have a great weekend.

13 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

I have to be honest and say I'm much less likely to click a link with no picture.....as it tends to be whether I like the picture as to whether I bother to go look!!!!
I am going to check out these links as I'm really wanting to get back into quilting.
But I will be being more careful about how I 'pin' from now on.

Sian said...

Best of luck with your trip! Have a great time.

What a great stand to take! No pictures - that's really putting your money where your mouth is and I love it. Yes, it was seeing some of my stuff, actual layouts I had made, being repinned without my name attached that made me realise how much we all need to get behind this camapign. Thanks for keeping it going

Amanda said...

It's tricky isn't it? I always try to think very carefully about what I'm posting and how I pin. However some of the things you mention hadn't occurred to me until now.

Enjoy your trip and have a good weekend.

Lizzie said...

Thank you for this reminder! I do try to be careful that I include a credit, when I Pin. However, I must have missed Sian's post about including a permanent link (actually I may have read it, but not kept a note, as I do remember something....)
Off to look at Sian's post now and then make notes!

Becky said...

Interesting post. I don't 'pinterest' but typed in your link and my blog and I have had layouts 'pinned' without the credit. I would always credit someone if I used their layout/ideas and do so on my blog - it only takes a minute or so extra. I did go and have a look at your links - I quite like the occasional post without photos, it makes you perhaps take a closer look at the writing.

Alison said...

Thanks for the reminder...I had forgotten about Sian's post...I'm about to become a reformed 'pinner'!
Alison xx

Estelle Grace Tudor said...

Interesting stuff, I hope I have always linked/credited where due. Thanks for the heads-up. Have a lovely weekend x

Scattychick said...

I am fairly sure I have always followed links and pinned from the original blog but may not have got the proper credit on any re-pins so I will go and check that :)

Sandra said...

A good idea Fi, although if I'm honest, I'm lazy and probably wouldn't click on the links but I sure will from now on lol

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

A very worthy reminder! I try to be respectful when pinning photos to Pinterest. In fact, sometimes when I re-pin something I'll delete the description if I feel that it has given enough information that the reader won't even have to click over to the original blog.

BTW - I tried your donut recipe this afternoon and LOVED it! I'll be doing a blog post one day this week. :o) Thank you!

Lisa-Jane said...

Thank you so much for this! I have been Pinned after all! It was one with 2 re-pins and I had no idea. Its odd though that the person never commented on my blog, if I Pin something then I always comment. I'm guilty of rePinning but I thought that Pinterest maintained the original link. It seems not so I am now on a mission to change my ways.

Amy said...

Ahh, this is such a problem if you ask me, and, I am really the sort to have a foot in both camps over pinterest full stop. I don't think it is always used as it should be - the same goes for people who reblog things that are not theirs and not credited at all ... that has happened to me.
I go through stages of watermarking all my photos, and I must admit, I should do it more often!

KraftyKaren said...

Thanks for the quilting link fiona - I have bookmarked it as I have a quilt top made and I just don't really understand now how to make it into an actual quilt - I think the binding part is scaring me LOL!!!

Karen x