Friday 20 September 2013

A Friendship Quilt ~ The Basics

I can’t tell you how delighted I am that so many people wanted to join this project and that some of you are giving patchwork a try for the very first time. There aren’t many rules involved, only that the finished blocks need to be 6 1/2” square. They can be made to any design you like and that will depend on the individual stitcher.

P1030181

I’m (fairly sure) that I’m going to stick with the basic Nine Patch for everyone. My plan is to make two blocks, one for the person whose month it is, in their chosen colour scheme, and a second matching block to keep myself. I’ll then have 24 blocks at the end of the year, which will make a larger quilt.

P1030182

You could choose to go a little simpler and make a Four Patch block. You would need four 3 1/2” squares for this one and in each case the seam allowance would be 1/4” to give you a 6 1/2” block once it was sewn together.

Thanks to everyone who has sent me their address details and colour schemes so far, there are some lovely choices among them. I’m already dreaming up a few ideas. I’ll get the list together as soon as I’ve heard from everyone. As for me, I’m going for the pot luck option and trust that it will be wonderful when it’s all sewn up.

I’m putting together a couple of tutorials for these basic blocks. Showing how I would do it with a ruler and rotary cutter and how it can be done just as easily with a pencil, scissors and cereal packet templates.

Have a lovely weekend.

11 comments:

alexa said...

I can see I am going to have to brush up on my maths! Will get my head round this, Fiona, once I am back from a little break - sending you details via email.

scrappyjacky said...

I'm still undecided on colour scheme....will have to make a decision as soon as possible!!

Jo.C said...

Thanks for the prompt, I'm e-mailing now. Good job you know what I'm like ;)

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I love the idea of making two of each block, Fiona! I was already wondering how I'd go about making this a larger quilt, and I think that's a fantastic idea!

Amy said...

Yes, I'll have to have my maths head on too!

It's a great idea to make two of the blocks so to have a larger quilt ... now that will really be a challenge!

debs14 said...

Looking forward to this starting! The timing is perfect, I'm literally just about to finish the quilt I'm working on, and can't wait for this new project. Love the idea of making an extra square each time!

Sian said...

Ack, sorry, I've just realised that I need to email you. Really sorry, it's been one of those weeks..

Lisa-Jane said...

I love this idea! I'm going to go and read more about it.

Sandra said...

I'm excited about this even if I'm not joining in lol. It's a great idea Fi :)

Jo said...

I've picked my block, it's one of my favourites and I know the colour scheme I want so I guess I'd better get the email off to you! x

Alison said...

Sorry Ffiona...I didn't realise I needed to be in touch..am on it now!
Alison xx