Thursday 8 March 2012

Meadow Barn Soup

When I make soup, I tend to just throw everything in and don’t really follow recipes. I made a big batch of carrot and sweet potato soup, to take on my recent weekend away and it seemed to go down very well. I’ve had a few requests (you know who you are) for the recipe, so I’ve done my best to write one.

Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup

Olive oil

1 large onion

2 sticks of celery

4 large carrots

2 sweet potatoes

200g lentils

1.5 litres vegetable stock

Chop the onion and fry in a little oil for a couple of minutes.

Add the chopped carrots and celery, put on the lid and sweat until softened.

Add the chopped sweet potatoes, lentils and vegetable stock.

Bring to the boil, then simmer with a lid on for approx. 30 minutes.

Use a hand blender to blitz the soup until smooth.

This amount served 12 of us at the weekend with ease, although I did thin it down a bit with extra vegetable stock when I was reheating it.

I realise that saying I used two sweet potatoes is not particularly helpful. I would say that they weighed around 750g in total and the carrots a similar amount. I didn’t tell you to peel the veg, but I’m guessing you know that already. Also, you will need a very large pan if you make the full amount in one go!

Hopefully this makes sense. Any questions please shout and I’ll be only too happy to answer. Enjoy!

PS If you would like the cake recipes from the weekend, the chocolate muffins can be found here and the lemon drizzle cake here.

14 comments:

Annie said...

You sound like my sort of soup maker :-) Throw it all in, cook it and blitz it down....yummy :-)
Hugs,
A x

KraftyKaren said...

Thankyou so much Fiona - I will despatch Mr P for celery and lentils tomorrow LOL!!

Karen x

Sian said...

Funny, I looked at a bag of sweet potato this morning and thought - if I bought that, could I find something nice to do with it? This would fit the bill perfectly

Alison said...

Looks right up my street Fiona!TFS!
Alison xx

Ali said...

Thanks for the recipe its sounds yummy xx

Alison said...

Ocado just happened to substitute a bag of sweet potatoes instead of a mix, and I've just received carrots too - I might be making your soup, Fi! Thanks so much for the recipe. :)

Sandra said...

Sweet potato is a big hit in our home, so thank you Fi for this, I'll give it a go

Amy said...

Yum! I cook the same way!

Carin McDonough said...

I am so excited to have this recipe, your soup was really yummy! Thanks!:)

alexa said...

Just my sort of soup - i love purées ... Thank-you!

Unknown said...

That looks really good! I am going to try it!

heatherblossom said...

ooh fab, off to get the ingredients to make it:)

Lisa said...

All of it was flipping fab!!! roll on the soup chef coming next year too:D

L xxx

Lisa-Jane said...

Thanks lovely!