Friday 15 February 2013

Friday Finds ~ Play Food From Felt

A couple of weeks ago, one of the lovely ladies who comes to my craft class, was telling us all about the play food she had been making for her grandson. She had found lots of ideas and inspiration online, although no actual instructions. When I got home, I had a look around to see what I could find.

A nice variety at Lemonwood Clock, from eggs and bacon to bread slices with peanut butter and jam/jelly filling. There are two printable PDFs, giving templates for everything shown in the picture including little trees broccoli and carrots. If you want something relatively quick and simple then these are the patterns for you.

Polly at Helping Little Hands hosted a Felt Food Cook-A-Long a couple of years ago and she has over two dozen different tutorials available, many with printable patterns. These are a little more complicated than the previous ones, but well worth the effort for the finished results. Lots of the items can be mixed and matched.

This picture shows what All Twisted Up calls Infinity Bread. It can be used flat with added pizza toppings, or rolled up to make wraps and fajitas. Scroll down on the link to find some inspirational photos. Instructions to make something very similar to the Infinity bread, can be found among the tutorials on my previous link.

With a bit of imagination and some felt, of course, you could make just about any kind of food. What I like most is being able to have a variety of ‘ingredients’ which can be put together to make lots of different meals. Much more exciting than the plastic food my own children had. They often substituted lego, which they had built their own food creations from! I know they would have loved this.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

What a brilliant thing to do! Thanks for sharing Fiona, wish I'd thought about it when mine were younger but knowing my youngest... he would have probably tried to eat it all! lol
:D
Lisa
xx

KraftyKaren said...

These are fab - such a great idea x

Beverly said...

I , too love that you can create endless combinations, thanks for sharing!

Sian said...

They're lovely - much nicer than plastic! I'm trying to remember the name of the Etsy shop where I bought the pattern for the felt circus: she does great felt food too. Very cute!

Jaki Morris said...

They are great. At a craft fair I did before Christmas there was a stall doing knitted food. You got a plate and filled it up. There was full English breakfasts or afternoon tea!
Brilliant

Jakix

VivJM said...

Felt food is such fun! My two boys both loved playing with toy food when they were little & then making felt food for their first sewing projects. They made doughnuts & ravioli & pizza :-)

Julia said...

That. is. brilliant! So wish I had found this when mine were little!

Sandra said...

Oh these are so cute, I've seen some really cute felt cakes recently

alexa said...

Oh my goodness, what a lot of careful planning and work has gone into these ... and how kind of you to go and look for your friend :).

Maria Ontiveros said...

These remind me of some of my kids' favorite toys when they were young. Thanks for the memory.
Rinda

Jo said...

That is a great idea, they look so cute x

Mariangeles M said...

Thanks for the links :)