Saturday 17 December 2011

Virtual Cookie Exchange

I’ve seen and heard a lot about Cookie Exchanges, since I’ve been following blogs from across the pond. I think it’s a brilliant tradition and one we would do well to adopt as our own. Beverly happens to be hosting a Virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange today, so I had to join her. Well it would be rude not to!

I’m cheating just a little bit, because I shared this recipe back in May, after a few requests from friends. I’ve converted it into US measurements for this blog post, but you can find the original version here.

Peanut Butter Cookies

For a dozen large cookies you will need:

1 stick of butter

1 cup of soft brown sugar (firmly packed)

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2/3 cup peanut butter

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (not sifted)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup chopped bitter sweet chocolate

Mmm…well that was a lot trickier than I thought. I started by using an online conversion site, but it was very complicated and the amounts seemed a bit off. It then occurred to me that the easiest way to do it, would be to weigh the actual ingredients out into my own set of cups.

The method is in the original post linked to above.

If you need more yummy cookie recipes to add to your repertoire, then head on over to Beverly’s place, where you’ll find plenty to make your mouth water.

ETA: It would seem that even our teaspoons are not the same, from one side of the ocean to the other. I think in the US they may be bigger than here in the UK, but I’m reading conflicting advice. If anyone knows the answer to this, I’d be very grateful.

7 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh Fi, you are an absolute doll to do so much work on conversions...I thought a tablespoon was a tablespoon @@ Anyway the cookies sound scrumptious and will definitly be baking here over the holidays. Thanks for linking up. I had no idea that cookie exchanges were an American thing.

scrappyjacky said...

My DD is a real peanut butter fan....so she will love these.

Sian said...

Yes, I think their spoons are bigger than ours! I love anything with peanut butter involved

My Beautiful World said...

Yummy thanks for sharing.So nice to meet you just found your lovely blog and so happy I did. I have enjoyed looking around and I'm now following you, if you find a spare minute hope you visit me sometime and follow back so nice to meet new friends. Sending you special wishes for a very Merry Christmas Day and look forward to keeping in touch in 2012.

Always Wendy

humel said...

I find those conversions tricky too! I just stick to one or the other - it helps that I do now have proper American measuring cups, but I didn't realise I should be using the spoons from that set too for my American recipes...

Kirsti said...

Hi...just popped over via The Felt Fairy to say I am joining in the Monthly Make...hope to keep up with you through 2012...Merry Christmas...

Kirsti xx

Been making loads of cookies lately!!

B.................. said...

Hi, thanks for popping by mine, am looking forward to your makes and keeping up with you in 2012 xx