Tuesday 22 March 2011

Reasons for Blogging....

I have wanted to start a blog for a while now, but just couldn't get my head around all the technical stuff! I had a clear idea in my mind how I wanted my header to look, but thought I lacked the skills to make it happen. Once I realised that the actual creating of the photo banner could be done in Picasa I relaxed, because I know my way around in there! With the banner completed to my liking, I felt like I really COULD do this after all.

I thought a blog would primarily be an online journal for me to record things as they happen, while they are fresh in my mind. I take a lot of photos and I think I will remember all the details of the events they record, but I have found that very often I don't.
Take my blog header for instance, Mary Ellyn asked where the photo was taken and I couldn't for the life of me remember! After a bit of detective work and picking of my husband's brain, we decided that it was taken at Teignmouth. Googling Teignmouth pier confirmed it for me. That holiday was only 7 years ago, so what hope would I have of working it out in 10 or 20 years time?!

I wasn't thinking about writing for other people, until Elin commented on my first post, "Yey! Lots of followers so you now need to keep us entertained!"
Eek! How exactly do I do that? I think my life is very ordinary and not entertaining to anyone else! Then I thought, it doesn't really matter, I should write whatever I want to and not think about an audience. If anyone finds my ramblings interesting, then they may be kind enough to follow me and if they don't, there are plenty of other blogs out there that may be just their cup of tea.

If you are pulling up a chair and having a cuppa while you browse around all the blogs in your reader, then you may be in need of a tasty biscuit. I'll be back later with a recipe, once I've figured out how to get the darn photo where I want it!

13 comments:

Sian said...

Once you really get going you can check to see which of your posts have been most popular - then you can have a think about if they were your favourite ones to write and if you want to do more :) But definitely, write about what you love because it really shines thorugh when someone does that.

I recognised Teignmouth - we stopped off there for a morning last summer. It's beautiful.

Beverly said...

Ahhhh this is what I believe to be one of the very best reasons to blog and a great attitude to go with it :)

Elin said...

So sorry Fi!! I don't mean to put pressure on you!! Write about anything you fancy - we all can either gain comfort in the fact that our life is similar to others, or inspiration of what we can try to enrich ours.

Donna said...

Your banner photo is a great one and you've made me think that maybe I should record some of my photos and thoughts on my blog instead of just using it to record the things I make ...hmmmmmm.....

Maria Ontiveros said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. I live in Northern California by the ocean, and so your banner really drew me in.
Rinda (of http://gallorganico.blogspot.com/2011/03/tsunami-relief-donation-blog-give-away.html)

sharyncarlson said...

I agree with Sian. Write about what you love and what you enjoy. That will show through and mean more to your readers. And as Elin said, we'll enjoy knowing what we have in common... and learning about our differences :)

Jen said...

I too live by the sea - and love your banner. Just blog about what you love - it always shows through - and its what we share that helps us bloggers and scrapbookers to appreciate each others lives, and what we have in common makes friendships across the world - something I think is pretty special! Enjoy blogging, J x

Sandra said...

Knowing you Fi, you'll soon find blogging second nature - oh and don't forget the soup recipes LOL. x

Allycat x said...

Oh yes, well remembered Sandra - we want soup recipes pls pls pls!
x

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

It is amazing how interesting 'ordinary' lives can be. We live in different countries & have different family structures, different interests & different ways of picking & choosing what to tell. That makes us all unique & interesting.

Welcome to blogging!

Jimjams said...

I'm appalled at how quickly I forget things - it's one of the reasons I scrapbook - I want to record the names, the dates, the places, the feelings - before my brain becomes completely addled! Hoping that blogging will help me get some facts and figures down and improve my journalling style at the same time while waiting for the photos to arrive!

Cheri said...

When you write what you know & love best you are most passionate and your authentic voice comes out. People who find that it resonates with them will come back for more!

Miriam said...

visiting from BfS forum, your banner is beautiful, I live near the sea and live a very ordinary life, I blog because it pleases me. When I receive a comment it's a beautiful bonus! the biscuit recipe sounds divine, but then if Nigella had a hand in it! x