Tuesday 22 March 2011

Reasons for Blogging Part 2


A few friends have been gently encouraging (nagging!) me to start up a blog to share recipes. I love baking cookies and cakes, so I spend quite a lot of time in the kitchen doing just that.
Today I thought I'd share a biscuit recipe with you, from Nigella's Domestic Goddess book.
I made these at the weekend for the first time in ages. I'd forgotten just how good they were, so light and crumbly.


Sweet and Salty Peanut Biscuits


75g light musovado sugar

100g unsalted butter

50g Trex

1 large egg

1tsp vanilla extract

175g self raising flour

125g salted peanuts


In a large bowl mix together the sugar, butter, Trex, egg and vanilla using an electric hand whisk.

Stir in the flour and then the peanuts with a spoon/spatula.

Put rounded teaspoonfuls of the dough onto a lined baking sheet.

Nigella uses an oiled glass dipped in sugar to flatten the biscuits, but I just press them gently with a fork.

Bake for 8-10 minutes at 190C/Gas Mark 5 until they are cooked through and turning golden.

Leave to cool on the tray for a minute or two, then remove to a wire rack.


The recipe makes around 30 biscuits so I tend to divide the dough and cook half, keeping the rest in the fridge for another day.

These are particularly good served with vanilla ice cream, or of course just enjoyed with your cuppa.
ETA: Sorry folks! Trex is a brand name for vegetable shortening, I think it may be called Crisco in America. Not sure about elsewhere in the world.
Light muscovado sugar is just light brown sugar, not sure if it has another name, but I will investigate later.

9 comments:

Jayne said...

The biscuits look gorgeous, but I hate to sound stupid but.....what is Trex?
Look forward to future receipes...love all type of cake/biscuit (as my waistline seems to be protesting lol)

Bunnyfreak said...

I am not familiar with Trex and musovado sugar. Do they have other names?
P.S. I am one of your Blogging for Scrapbookers classmates.

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I've edited my post now and I'm hoping that helps.

Allycat x said...

They look sooooooo yummy!!!
Put the kettle on, I'm coming round LOL
x

sharyncarlson said...

They look super yummy! Now I definitely have a sweet tooth.

Sandra said...

I'm right behind Ally :) ... I'll bring the coffee :) See, aren't you glad that we "SUGGESTED" you blog LOL.

KraftyKaren said...

Biscuits look fab will have to try those when we get back from hols.

Karen x

Unknown said...

Yay! Our first recipe and it sounds a yummy one too. Will have to try it out seeing as I was a guilty party at 'pestering'

Dee
x

Unknown said...

Yum!! Those look delish! Now I just have to convert it over to the American measuring system so that I can make it! :)