Wednesday 25 November 2015

What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday #338

On the kitchen table today, a few things ready to be traced and/or cut out. Some booties and a bib/apron for the new baby, due next month. My niece has chosen a grey and white colour scheme for her nursery and I thought these fabrics would fit.

























I bought a copy of Love Sewing this month, because there was a pattern I wanted, and found it much improved. It's quite an expensive magazine at £5.99, but worth that just for the Megan Nielsen Kelly skirt (full size paper) pattern which was free inside and the cute red wool coat ornament from Posie Gets Cozy. There are lots of others, including dresses, children's clothes and festive makes.

























I made this pair of cards for a class, back in October, but it was just too early to share them here. I cut the little houses on a hillside with an edgelit die, stamped a sentiment and added a punched glittery star. It doesn't get much simpler than that for mass production.

























I liked the negative and, by cutting a full size mat in white, I realised I could make two cards with one cut. To finish off I embossed with falling snow and added the same sentiment as before. I do like making cards that require a lot more effort, just not at this time of year!

Linking up with Julia and the Deskers, after a missed week due to that pesky migraine. Hoping for some festive inspiration when I go visiting later. Happy Wednesday.

25 comments:

Annie said...

What a clever idea....and I love both so the design is cleverly made.
Have a great week.
Hugs,
Annie x # 9

buterfliecrafter said...

like the negative one the most. Vicky(#8)

Patio Postcards said...

Oh that grey & white sheep fabric is SOOOO cute. I'm hoping next year that sheep will replace the deer used in Christmas paper this year. Gorgeous cards. I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but you making stamping look easy (I know it's not).

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Grey is so in as a colour at the moment...especially in Christmas Scandi type fabrics too. I love it! It'll look fab in the nursery, especially the sheepy one.
Fab cards too, i love both sides of the positive/negative thing.
How's your lad doing at uni? Not long before he and Rhys come home for Christmas..yay!!
Hugs, LLJ 15 xx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Fiona, those two cards are awesome- exactly what's needed when it's a case of mass production. Really love them both. The Nursery stuff looks cool, love the colour scheme chosen. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #1 xxx

Darlene said...

Oh so clever !!! Love these WOYWW...get so many ideas !
thx for sharing
Darlene #40

lisa said...

I love your cards, how clever to use the negative as well, that's so effective. Good Luck with your sewing.
Hugs Lisax #16

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love your cards - brilliant idea! I love the sound of the grey and white colour scheme! Chrisx 36

Christine said...

Glad you're feeling better now and back on form. Look forward to seeing the skirt!

Have a good week
Christine

Bishopsmate #43

Helen said...

love the cards - very clever to have positive and negative versions. Love the grey fabric. Helen 3

Elizabeth said...

Grey is not only trendy but a safe colour too - especially if the sex of the baby due is still unknown. I like the sheep patterned fabric. I have a sub for Love Sewing - there's usually at least two patterns that appeal to me so consider it money well spent. Your cards are lovely - the row of houses is perfect with the greeting. Have a great week. Elizabeth x #31

Sharon said...

Glad you're feeling better. The cards look really nice - I like the look!

Alison said...

Love the cards...and what cute material!

Sian said...

Lovely cards. I bought the kit for that little red coat a few years back and I thoroughly enjoyed making it. It's one of my favourite decorations now. You should definitely make one

Linda said...

Oh! I really like your cards! Good luck with the nursery makes, lovely choice of fabric:) Nice to hear that Love Sewing has improved, perhaps I'll look for it later when I'm shopping.

Lizzie J said...

That fabric is so cute. Love the cards, Its great when you can create '2 for the proce of 1' feels less wasteful.
Lizzie J #30

My not so simple life said...

Beautiful cards and I love that fabric

Lizzie said...

Oo, that baby will be well dressed - and so will you, from the sound of the pattern magazine!

I really like your Christmas card design. What a clever idea, to use a square to cut from, so you can also use the negative for another card - definitely two for the price of one! And, although the cards have a simple design, they are really attractive - I'd be delighted to receive one of those.

Have a good week/weekend!

Lizzie #49

CraftygasheadZo said...

Oh you clever lady using negative & positive elements. I chuckled at your magazine tale cos I too only buy if the gifts are worth more than the mag!! Take care Zo xx 33

Dee said...

Love the gentle grey and white theme for a nursery, lovely fabric choices too. lovely cards too, very elegant xxx

Sandra said...

The word wow doesn't seems enough x

KraftyKaren said...

Two really lovely cards - I have the dies but still not used them yet - yep I know I am so bad LOL!! I will try and take inspiration from yours for a SIPIDI post. Look forward to seeing the bootees and bib when they are done.

Jo said...

That is a great idea to get 2 cards from one cut and they are both so lovely x

debs14 said...

Fantastic cards, how clever to make two from one cut, can't decide on a favourite!
Sorry to read about the 400 miles driving, thank goodness this semester is almost at an end.

Susanne said...

Those fabrics are darling, and your cards are very eye-catching. Nicely done.