Friday 22 August 2014

A few thoughts on….zips

Remember that little sewing project I was working on a couple of weeks ago? I finished it up and it’s now full to bursting with loom bands ready for a very long car journey to Scotland tomorrow.

IMG_20140822_152709

It’s not perfect, but I learnt a lot in the making and it serves its purpose pretty well.

I interfaced the outer fabric, but I do not like the cardboardy feel this gives it. I’ll try the sew in stuff next time. I’m also not keen on the sloping corners at the top, but unsure how to avoid this happening. Any suggestions gratefully received.

I found it very tricky to get my stitching even along the zip. I know that only bad workmen/women blame their tools but in this case I think my particular style of zipper foot may have had something to do with it. I did a bit of research and it turns out that the snap on one that came with my machine is not well loved.

Using glue to hold the zip in place, while stitching, was a revelation to me. Pins make things awkward and I’m far too lazy to tack it in place first. I’m not sure I’d do it with clothing, but it in a project like this it’s the perfect solution.

Blogging has been somewhat sporadic this month. I’m taking a little break for the next week or so and I’ll be back in September.  Enjoy the rest of your Summer.

7 comments:

Lou said...

it looks good to me. Enjoy those loom bands. There were a few people making loom bracelets around the pool while we were on holiday. Have a super time in scotland x

Sian said...

Glue! Now that does sound like a neat idea.

Have a lovely break

fairy thoughts said...

I assume the glue is the temporary type .... I have used it on a quilt before sewing all the layers together it's brilliant and will try it next time for a zip .... Hopefully later today I'll let you know....
Janet

Sandra said...

Looks great to me. I hadn't thought of glue before, I normally tack my zip in place first, but I'll give anything a go if it makes life easier

My not so simple life said...

Great little pouch, what did you make with the bands? lol

Sheena said...

have a great holiday x
I really struggle with zips...will check out the links, thank you xxx

KraftyKaren said...

Looks fab to me - well done with the zip, it is my fear of zips that prevents me from attempting to make clothes.