Friday 27 June 2014

See it, Pin it, Do it! ~ June Edition

Another month has almost gotten away from me and I haven’t made anything at all from my Pinterest boards during June. Never fear, when I came to write the May edition of SIPIDI! I completely forgot what I was going to talk about. I got all excited about my vintage sheets and told you about them instead. Now, back to the cake.

IMG_20140518_170557

When it comes to Birthday cake, my girl is very fussy. It must have no sugar based icing, of the buttercream or roll out fondant variety, and definitely no jam anywhere near it. Chocolate is always her first choice for the cakey part. I hesitate to call it sponge because she favours more of a brownie texture.

IMG_20140517_132613

Over the years, I’ve tried many different recipes in a quest for her perfect chocolate cake. The one we settled upon, about 3 years ago, came from a very old Be-Ro cook book and involved evaporated milk. It was a good cake. Light and moist and very easy to knock up in the food processor. I didn’t use the suggested icing, but topped and filled it with a simple chocolate ganache and it was a winner.

IMG_20140517_161757

This year I tried something new and apparently it was, “The best Birthday cake ever!”

IMG_20140520_192220

I particularly enjoyed the slice I had, the day after her Birthday, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Rich and moist *and* easy to make. What’s not to like?

Over to you, lovely readers. What have you been pinning this month? Did something inspire you enough that you had a go yourself? Please share. We’d love to see.

All the SIPIDI! info can be found here and the Pinterest board is here.

10 comments:

Sheena said...

loving the sound of this cake Fiona x
must give it a try :)

Sian said...

It looks delicious. Anything with a brownie type feel to it is always a winner here. I've been trying to persuade our baker here she needs to start pinning the recipes she finds, or copy them into a notebook, or something..

KraftyKaren said...

Oh yum that looks nomalicious xxxx Currently working on my SIPIDI - hopefully will have something to show on the blog very soon!!

scrappyjacky said...

That sounds wonderful....my daughter is just like yours when it comes to the birthday cake choice.

MiniOwner said...

Mmm mmm that looks delish.

Thanks for the heads up about SIPIDI. My June project is here http://miniowner.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/beat-christmas-rush-june-25th.html
Sue x

Miriam said...

I love the look of this cake Fiona but could you take off the top and middle for me? I have a very very very old Be-Ro book. I'll look at it in the morning. I have a chocoholic arriving tomorrow.

shazsilverwolf said...

I take it the Bero cookbook is the tall thin paperback one we were given at school when Bero's people came in to demo? If so I still have mine too- and that makes it positively ancient, lol. I use quite a few recipes from mine still as well.I'm with your daughter about the jam, by the way. Hugs, Shaz xx

Sandra said...

I have to say not only does it look delious but I bet it tasted yum

Maria Ontiveros said...

That looks soooo good! My mother-in-law makes home made birthday cakes for the family.
Rinda

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh that cake looks delicious. I have done a SIPIDI on the ATDML Blog this month - http://createdbyatdml.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/sipidi-see-it-pin-it-do-it.html