Friday 5 April 2013

Friday Finds ~ The Long and the Short of It

As you may know, I’m taking part in The Love What You Wear Project this year and I’ve filed away a few things, from around the blogosphere, that I thought might come in handy along the way. Throughout April I’ll share some of them with you.

I was in need of a new pair of jeans and of course I cannot just stroll into Gap and pick up my favourite Curvy Low Rise. Apparently they have stopped producing them anyway, so I’ll be in search of the perfect pair again at the end of the year. I found some in a charity shop that are not a bad fit, but they are too long for little old me.

I’ve taken up jeans in the past and always hated the look of the hem afterwards. It also makes it totally obvious that they’ve been altered. Now I’ve found a solution and it’s really simple. The ‘how to’ along with plenty of pictures (always useful) can be found at Just Something I Made.

If you haven’t got a pair of jeans that needs shortening, or you’re just not that into sewing, it’s still worth checking the site out for Cathe’s other crafty ideas and lots of free printables. And if you are into sewing, then pop back on Monday when I’ll have a post all about The Great British Sewing Bee. Are you watching?

12 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

This is a great idea....have bookmarked the site.....thanks.

Sian said...

Hemming. Oh, hemming. yes, it's always needed in this house too. with one obvious exception.

I loved the Sewing Bee programme and was very disappointed when I discovered it is only four episodes!

KraftyKaren said...

oooh that is a lovely blog - thanks for the link. Yes I am watching the Sewing Bee - I just wish it wasn't so fast paced - I would love to see some of the things they are doing in much more detail.

I always have to turn my jeans up too so will give that method a go next time I have to do it - I actually have to have my trousers in two different lengths - as when I am in the wheelchair I need them longer so they don't look like they are having an arguement with my ankles but at that length they are too long to walk around in without stepping on the hem all the time.

Twiglet said...

Yes I have seen this way to shorten jeans before but never tried it. Hope it works well. Yes we are watching the Sewing Bee - good start last week I thought. x Jo

Jo said...

Great tip for shortening jeans x

Suzy said...

Im loving the sewing bed, I cant see though but have bought a funny define hand vintage machine. If only I knew where to start though lol

Maria Ontiveros said...

Perfect!
Rinda

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Wow, great site! Thanks for the heads up! I'm very impressed with your shortened jeans', I couldn't tell the difference.
Yes, am watching the programme...loved the old gal and the big hairy bloke!!! Xxxx

Lisa said...

Thanks Fi, we need this at the mo but by the end of the school year we need to drop the hem back down lol

Lisa
xx

Sandra said...

Oh yes I'm watching the show, I love it.

alexa said...

That is a neat tip and thank- you :). I haven't really caught up with the programme and off to check it out now .

Lisa-Jane said...

This has really really tickled me! I have a long but funny story about hemming jeans in India that led to me almost trying to take money out of the till. Needless to say that the hem was REALLY obvious and not at all like the one in this picture which is brilliant! All hail short people! Huzzah!