Wednesday 25 January 2012

What’s On Your Workdesk Wednesday? #138

Hello from a damp and dreary Dorset. Not much light for taking photos this morning and this is the result. Those lovely bright needlecords in the kits look rather dull. I love the way the kits are folded and tied up with ribbon, like a parcel.

IMG_0076

I took a close up, but it’s not much better. I love that it has ‘very well made in England’ printed on the fabric. The Royal Mail sticker on the bag shows that I received these kits on 30/3/11 and they have been sat in the bottom of my wardrobe much of the time since then. It really is time I got them made. No excuses!

IMG_0078

The skirt is very similar in style to a much loved and well worn one of my own. Once I’ve cut the fabric pieces out, I’m going to use them to make up a paper pattern. Then I can repeat the design in some other fabric I have in my stash. That’s the plan anyway. I seem to have lost confidence in my dress making ability, which is crazy when I managed to make my own wedding dress and outfits for four bridesmaids.

If you want to have a nosey around (in excess of) a hundred other desks then Julia will set you on the right path. But if you are just feeling short changed by the empty muffin wrapper, then you can see what it looked like before I ate it and get the recipe for some of your own here.

PS The skirt kit now comes in Leaf Green, just saying Sian.

20 comments:

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wow, i am very impressed with your dressmaking skills if you were able to make the dresses for your wedding! i am sure you will do a great job with these kits! i am very sure!
happy WOYWW and thanks for sharing,
hugs, peggy aplSEEDS

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, those little kits look inviting. I think I'd hold off on putting them together just so I could enjoy that sweet little packaging a bit longer.

Fun look at your workspace today, Fiona. :o) xo

Brenda B said...

Those are beautifully and very cleverly packaged kits Fiona. I'm sure you'll have a ball putting them together and it will all come back to you too.

Hugs
Brenda 99

Ali said...

Cant wit to see it finished - how did you get on with the ck bag???

May said...

Love the package these come in, I would not want to open them, looking foward to the completed projects, Have a great week, Hugs May x x x x

Sian said...

Haha! That's very, very tempting..I love Clothkits!

Twiglet said...

Go for it girl!! You will make a brill job of it I am sure. I love the hearts below too. Thanks for the ideas for my leather scraps - I think I will try some embroidered cuffs and maybe a brooch or two first! Have a good week. x Jo

Enfys said...

Fabulous looking kits. I bought one from clothkits once, remembered I couldn't sew and donated it! Have a happy WOYWW and a busy creative week
hugs
Enfys

Lunch Lady Jan said...

What a fab colour combo!! That pink and black is fab - and that 'tape' ribbon is really funky, like that lots.
If you made your wedding dress, you must be an awesome seamstress. It's still there, just have fun playing. If it doesn't turn out right, so what? I've used loads of my mistakes as filling for draught excluders!! Lol.
Hugs, LLJ #45 xx

Karen said...

Those little cloth kits look inviting and such lovely colors :)

Have a great WOYWW, Luv Karen #80

Estelle Grace Tudor said...

Have fun making the kits! I bet muffin was yum x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Great packaging! It would make me want to tear into them right away, but I understand how things get set aside for the special later time. I say you should have great dress making skills if you could do so much for your own wedding.

Sandra said...

Packaging is half the fun:)

Really looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Beckyt said...

Those kits look great I have been meaning to try one of them for a while youve inspired me to get going with one.

Thanks for sharing
BEcky no 56 x

Lou said...

love the tape ribbon, if you can do your own wedding dress you will be able to master these kits i am sure Hope you have a great week Lou #82

Lisa-Jane said...

Its great that you are sewing again. Being able to make a wedding dress etc? Wow, I am in awe!

Ann B said...

I remember these kits from the '70s and thought they had gone out of business. Beautiful packaging - enjoy making them.
Ann B
#46

Melissa said...

Looks like some fun sewing time coming up for you.

BumbleVee said...

the colours still look great on my monitor! especially the second photo ...
hey... Royal Mail...just got something from the U.K. a while back and how I love seeing that stamp....even though I've been told it is not as posh as it sounds....hahahha

Julia Dunnit said...

It'll come back to you, honest, sewing...once you can do it,you can do it forever. I discovered this when Miss Dunnit got into costumes! Love cloth kits, used to use them a lot, and the colour of this kit is lovely.